Monday, July 25, 2011

Aussie Rules Football!


Dustypie--he is just so handsome!

We headed back down to Bell's Beach with a guy Dustin works with--Rich! He was most enjoyable to be around; we stopped to pick up some souvenirs for his kids, took a few pictures, checked out some local beaches and then he treated us to pizza/pasta!


One thing that I really liked about Australia was the big, open fields, which reminded me of Oklahoma; well, except for the fact that they had an ocean directly beside them!

Here are a few pictures of Melbourne--such an artsy town. Melbourne is very well maintained.


The Crown Plaza, where we stayed, has a bunch of over-priced shops, a theater and many fast-food type restaurants. While Dustin was working, I would window shop and eat. I was shocked by how expensive food/drinks were! One day, I got a doughnut and a hot chocolate from McDonalds that ran me some $7.00! What!?! The hot chocolate was like a shot-glass, too! I guzzle liquids while I eat, so I was sorely disappointed to find out that there is no such thing as a "refill" on drinks in Australia. Furthermore, when I ordered a LARGE drink, it was actually the size of a kids' meal drink in the U.S. This was a problem. Another day, I picked up a Powerade (20 oz) and it cost me $5.50. I am not exaggerating. Maybe Americans are pigs....and by 'Americans,' I mean me.

Why, yes, I did go all "touristy" and take a picture of the parrots on the light pole. They pooped all over our car that was parked beneath them!


This is a random picture of a burp cloth that I made while Colleen was in town.

Aussie-rules football is, well, awesome! The sport is extremely fast paced, rough and high energy! Unlike hockey, if a fight breaks out, the game just continues AROUND the fight. The officials don't break it up, there are no time-outs or penalties, you just get beat up and then continue playing! It's crazy! It was so much fun to watch! I was impressed with Australian fans--everyone was courteous and didn't take offense when their opponents' team was being cheered for. It ended up being a "tied" game.



We got to eat out, attend a rugby game, stay up late...it was almost like we were dating again....minus the child growing in my belly!

2 comments:

Matt and Melody Odell said...

wow I am so impressed, back to blogging again! I did not know about Austrailia, it looks like a dream! I can't wait to meet Curren, miss your little fam.

Jenn said...

Awesome rules for footbal!! Looks like fun and SUPER CUTE burp cloth! Wish mine were that cute, but Wyatt would just spit up all over them, so...yeah. Anyway, love you!