Friday, April 29, 2011

Sea World (Feb. '11)

Let's talk about this dress for a bit. Obviously, we can discuss how ridiculously cute it is--look at the little apple-shaped buttons, the accuracy of the smocking, the cute red, white and blue colors and the perfect way it fits my babe. But, there is more to discuss! My sugary Mom made it for ME when I was little! Oh, now that we're talking about me, I could write on and on and on...jk, but she really did cut it, smock it, sew it, etc. to create this masterpiece of a dress for her daughter....yes, me! If you think that's impressive, scroll down past the next picture of Kavella and find out an even greater accomplishment of my Mother's that involves preserving and restoring it for MY daughter! Mom is a gem...keep reading.

Okay, when I was little, I frolicked and played and looked simply darling in this dress. No wait, that's not how I wanted to end that sentence...I meant to keep going with--then, I took an entire jar of rubber cement and "painted" myself sticky from head to toe--all while wearing this fabulous dress. Why? Because I wanted to teach my Mother patience, forgiveness, determination and creativity. Mom tried washing it, soaking it and doing whatever she could to clean it, but the cement just wouldn't come out. So, for the next 28 some years, it hung in her closet, stained. I suppose she just couldn't let it go after all that hard work. Well, what do you know? Here comes the determination and creativity part--she applied all sorts of treatments (multiple times) and cared for each spot with love and patience...trying different procedures and applications...untilllllllll, good as new!! You did it, Mom!! I'm so proud of you! Now, MY baby girl can wear this cute outfit!

Yea! Jenn and Brian and kids came to visit! Okay, they were actually visiting Brian's family, but I always poach some time with them. I tag along as much as I can. I LOVE when they come out. Kristin (Brian's sis) was able to get us into Sea World for $6.00! That's like $54 cheaper than normal--trust me, it was an awesome deal! I didn't mind LEAVING my house in north Orange County at 6:00 a.m. in order to get to the Perkins' house (North San Diego County) by 8:00 a.m. just to make it to Sea World (Tijuana...jk, but it is pretty close) by 9:00. I'd do it ANY DAY to spend time with my fam.

Look at Wyatt's fluffy cheeks!

Ewww, fresh (dead) fish to feed the stingrays!

Thanks to Sandy for helping Kavella pet the stingrays! He's the best!


Touching the starfish with Ellie.

Scottypie got his own presentation of the starfish! The instructor even took one out of the water for Scott to touch!

Anticipating Shamu's appearance....wait for it....

Ta-da! Alright, it's not stupid Shamu, but by the time Shammy came out, I didn't want to take my camera out again. This one is close enough, people!


Stephanie's fallin' in love with Elmo! Looks like they're about to smoocherooski!

Spinning jelly fish! The operator was like, "uh, you're not pregnant are you?" Brave man to ask. Instead of actually answering, I just said, "What!?" with a look of offense. Yup, I still got to ride--that's called takin' care of your unborn baby....er, something like that.


While one polar bear was demolishing a red, plastic container, another was sleeping. Kavella wanted me to be a little quieter so I wouldn't wake him.


Dalin, getting cozy by the fire! After Sea World, we all trekked over to visit the Mormon Battalion Museum. It was really cool! We went into all these different rooms, which were decorated for the different experiences of the Battalion. It was both interesting and informative!


Thanks, Uncle Brian, for helping me "pan for gold!"

Summer helped Kavella pump water. Work, child, work!


Yes, it's permanent marker. Two-year check up with Dr. Bennett the next day. #1 Mom award!

Going to Outback Steakhouse with Daddy. Darci gave us this cute dress with a matching baby doll dress! Yes, I DID let her bring in the doll, just to show off. Well, look how cute it is! Dang, nevermind--Dust is covering the doll's dress up. Just imagine K's dress--on a doll.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

great post kelly!! You always take such wonderful pictures! I have to give credit where credit is due however: I only SMOCKED the dress and sewed on the buttons when it was completely finished; Mary Jo cut out the pattern and sewed the dress up (once it was smocked)! It was definitely a team effort. But I DID get the rubber cement out after more than 25 years! That was a miracle. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Also,
I love how Kavella's eyes are red, white, and blue, (in that first picture) - just like the smocked dress! Love, Mom

Jenn said...

OH. MY. GOODNESS. I just about died laughing at that whole post! Elli broke out my purple dress that mom made last week and pretended she was Rapunzel. And I'm stealing a bunch of pics!