Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Baby time!






Dustin and I are so excited to welcome our first baby!! While in Vegas with Colleen and Chris, I felt a series of "earthquakes." The room kept swaying and nobody else was feeling it. I must have asked Beanie like 10 times if we were having an earthquake. A week later, on our drive home, I was still feeling dizzy and finally thought pregnancy was the culprit! Sure enough, two pregnancy tests confirmed that our little baby was growing! Those tests were followed by other weekly tests...just to be sure! I was so excited to tell my family! Coincidentally, I was visiting Oklahoma the very next week! (I will post those pictures later--out of order--because I don't want to get on the Mac right now...)
First, I asked my parents to go to dinner (just the three of us) where I was going to spill the beans. Maw began telling me how parenthood is an eighteen year commitment of complete responsibility. She was explaining how challenging and rewarding this commitment can be, and a commitment that cannot be broken. I told her that I was already three weeks into the job! Then came the convincing. Mother stared at me and said something to the effect of, "What? Are you serious? Are you pregnant," while Dad quickly began dialing Dustin....my family believes anything Dustin says..."I am calling your husband right now, Kelly! You better not be tricking us!" Would I do something like that? I had to admit that Dr. Roskamp (dentist) knew before she did, but ONLY because he wanted to do X-rays that morning! Dustin confirmed and we ate our celebratory dinner, both of my parents tickled pink!
Next, we wanted to tell the younger kids. As Grant and Bryce sat down to devour our leftover ribs, I gave Colleen a call and put her on speaker phone. I asked her if she remembered those earthquakes, which she did, and I told her it was because I was growing a baby! Both the boys shot a stare of disbelief toward me for confirmation. I think they were surprised!
We called Ricky and Shane (who didn't pick up) on speaker phone, who were both excited. I was saving the best for last....Jennifer has been on the receiving end of a series of "I think I'm pregnant" scenarios, so I knew she would be the hardest to convince. The next morning, we had a gyno appointment at the same time. I wanted to ask Dr. Splane for a pregnancy test and have him come into the room like, "Congratulations, you're pregnant!" I expected Jenn to be blown away, thus fulfilling my announcement desires!! Unfortunately, things did not work out that way....he made me do a blood test. He promised the staff would call with the results in "about an hour." Okay, so I would have Jenn answer my phone and pretend to be me (not unusual for us). Mom was with Scott and Elle at therapy, so we met up with her after our appointments. I told Mom they would be calling my phone in about an hour--we had to stall. We went to Old Navy--no call--and we went to Sam's club--still no call....I called the office, who informed me that they would be calling me back shortly. Lunch anyone? We all trekked off to Monterey's Tex Mex for lunch, still anticipating the call. Mind you, Jennifer thinks that I am just overreacting about a pregnancy scare...she has no idea that I was already sure! We finished lunch and STILL no call. My plan was failing. Stall some more....so, we went to Jenn's to hang out for a bit before the boys had to be picked up from school! Nothing looks suspicious, right? I must have called the office another 4 times. Finally, it was time to go...I couldn't just tell her I was pregnant NOW! I knew she would never believe me! As we left, I frantically text messaged the boys to find alternative rides home, which worked! Fifteen minutes after we left Jenn's house, we returned to hang out a little more. "Oh, we're back! Just wanted to hang out a little more.." I knew my phone would ring at any moment! It didn't. Instead, we left for good when Grant HAD to have the car to go to dinner with his friend Jake. Now what?
Arriving home, my phone begins to vibrate....thanks a lot, Dr. Splane, for the confirmation pregnancy test. Now, I had to just call and tell Jenn. I got Dalin on speaker phone. "Are you in the same room as your Mother," I asked. "No, she's in the living room," he replied. "Okay, well I want you to go into the living room," I instructed him. His cheery reply, "Okay!" Then came the news..."Dalin, you're going to have a new little cousin!" I said. Knowing right away what that meant, he said, "You're pregnant? How wonderful!!" Hearing no reaction in the background, I asked him if his Mom had heard the news......"Nope! She went into the kitchen!" AAAARRRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!! I give up!! In the end, Jenn didn't believe that I was pregnant either, so she called Dustin. She probably still doesn't believe;), so maybe these ultrasound photos will help!! We are so excited!

6 comments:

Beaners said...

KELLY! I'm so excited for you! Congratulations! I'm can't wait to be the FAVorite Auntie Colleen with a real human baby, and not just Choco...jk, i love him! anyway, i'm so happy for you an can't wait to come see you! Love you!

Jenn said...

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!! Okay, I finally believe you!

Melisa said...

Awwww, how exciting! What's your due date?

Beaners said...

Kelly, I just wanted to let you know again that I'm so excited you're having a Sea Turtle baby! she'll be so much fun, we can just let her live in mom and dad's pool! Free Housing! hahaha, jk! (Please don't tell her that I said that about her when she's old!) Love you! And I love your baby!

Jenn said...

Sea turtle, huh? Is that better than alien? ;)

KelBelle said...

Ha, ha, ha!! Skeletor is what Dustin said (s)he looks like! I bet a Sea Turtle would have more hair than any of our kids will ever have! That's a plus! Oh, our due date is SUPPOSEDLY January 6....we're holding out until at least the 15th!!